Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Wednesday March 28 Prufrock / notetaking continued

YOUR NOTES WILL BE COLLECTED AND GRADED USING THE FORMAT BELOW.


We are continuing with The Love Song today.  Your notes should be turned in tomorrow at the beginning of class. They will be graded according to the rubric above.
Tomorrow we'll continue with the Prezis.
HOMEWORK- and this includes music trip folks.    Don't worry, it's only a little. For Monday, please make sure you know the following figurative language devices and the pronoun chart. There will be a test on these. No tricks...you'll fill in a chart and simply define the corresponding pronoun and write out the definition.  Monday will be our last day to talk about Prufrock. Make sure you come prepared to discuss the poem and pose any questions you might have. I will return your Cornell notes on Monday, so you can use them to write on Tuesday and Wednesday. If you are absent either of these days, we'll need to make this up outside of class.

copy of pronoun handout
Pronoun Case is really a very simple matter. There are three cases.
MEMORIZE THIS CHART and the figurative language list that follows….Quiz NEXT MONDAY April 2  That's the only work you have from me; music folks are responsible for this, as well....it's very little.  Make a point of reading through the poem several more times.
Pronouns as subjects
Pronouns as objects
Pronouns that show possession
I (singular)
me
my (mine)
you (singular)
you
your (yours)
he, she, it (singular)
him, her
his, her (hers), it (its)
we (plural)
us
our (ours)
you (plural)
you
your (yours)
they (plural)
them
their (theirs)
who
whom
whose
The pronouns This, That, These, Those, and Which do not change form.
Some problems of case:
1. In compound structures, where there are two pronouns or a noun and a pronoun, drop the other noun for a moment. Then you can see which case you want.
Not: Bob and me travel a good deal.           (Would you say, "me travel"?)
Not: He gave the flowers to Jane and I. (Would you say, "he gave the flowers to I"?)
Not: Us men like the coach. (Would you say, "us like the coach"?)
2. In comparisons. Comparisons usually follow than or as:
He is taller than I (am tall).
This helps you as much as (it helps) me.
She is as noisy as I (am).
Comparisons are really shorthand sentences which usually omit words, such as those in the parentheses in the sentences above. If you complete the comparison in your head, you can choose the correct case for the pronoun.
Not: He is taller than me. (Would you say, "than me am tall"?)
3. In formal and semiformal writing:
Use the subjective form after a form of the verb to be.
Formal: It is I. Informal: It is me.
Use whom in the objective case. Formal: To whom am I talking? Informal: Who am I talking to?

Literary elements to consider: characterization, plot, tone, theme, point-of-view
Figurative language devices- 1.metaphors-a comparison between two or more things that doesn't use the words like or as.    example: "You are an ant, while I'm the lion."2. similes-a comparison between two or more things using the words like or as. example: "I move fast like a cheetah on the Serengeti."
3. onomatopoeia -a word that imitates the sound it is describing. example: "Out of reach, I pull out with a screech."4. sound sense: 1. alliteration- a phrase with a string of words all beginning with the same sound.
example: "Five freaky females finding sales at retail.";
2. assonance- the repetition of vowel sounds to create internal rhyme. example: "Hear the mellow wedding bells." - Edgar Allen Poe" 3. consonance- Repetition of internal or ending consonant sounds of words close together in poetry. Example: I dropped the locket in the thick mud.
5. synecdoche-A whole is represented by naming one of its parts.


Examples
The rustler bragged he'd absconded with five hundred head of longhorns.
Both "head" and "longhorns" are parts of cattle that represent them as wholesListen, you've got to come take a look at my new set of wheels.
One refers to a vehicle in terms of some of its parts, "wheels"
"He shall think differently," the musketeer threatened, "when he feels the point of my steel."
A sword, the species, is represented by referring to its genus, "steel"

6. personification-giving an animal or object human-like characteristics. example: "Alright, the sky misses the sun at night."
7. litotes-A figure of speech  consisting of an understatement in which an affirmative is expressed by negating its opposite.


  • "Keep an eye on your mother whom we both know doesn't have both oars in the water."
    (Jim Harrison, The Road Home. Grove Press, 1999)
    • "We made a difference. We made the city stronger, we made the city freer, and we left her in good hands. All in all, not bad, not bad at all."
    (Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address to the Nation, January 20, 1989)

     8. hyperbole-an exaggeration.
    example: "I fought a million rappers in an afternoon in June."
    9. apostrophe-when a speaker or writer breaks off and directs speech to an imaginary person or abstract quality or idea  "Where, O death, thy sting? where, O death, thy victory?" 1 Corinthians 15:55, (Saint) Paul of Tarsus   or  "O, King Vitamin cereal, you blow my mind!"
    10.  allusion- A brief, usually indirect reference to a person, place, or event--real or fictional. "I was not born in a manger. I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father, Jor-el, to save the Planet Earth."
    (Senator Barack Obama, speech at a fund-raiser for Catholic charities, October 16, 2008)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment