Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Thursday May 17 Catcher day 4

 I live in New York, and I was thinking about the lagoon in Central Park, down near Central Park South. I was wondering if it would be frozen over when I got home, and if it was, where did the ducks go? I was wondering where the ducks went when the lagoon got all icy and frozen over. I wondered if some guy came in a truck and took them away to a zoo or something. Or if they just flew away.
HOMEWORK: reading schedule for book. Tuesday May 15 chapters 15 and 16
Wednesday May 16 chapters 17 and 18
Thursday May 17 chapters 19 and 20
Friday May 18 chapters 21 and 22
Monday May 21 chapters 23 and 24
Tuesday May 22 chapters 25 and 26
WEDNESDAY MAY 23 AND THURSDAY MAY 24 WILL BE AN IN CLASS ANALYTICAL ESSAY. YOU WILL USE THE TEXT AND A GRAPHIC ORGANIZER THAT YOU WILL HAVE PREPARED AHEAD OF TIME.
Graphic organizer: due Wednesday May 23





Discussion of excerpts from the novel:
1. "I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life" (16).
2. "I was trying to feel some kind of a good-by . . . I don't care if it's a sad good-by or a bad good-by, but when I leave a place I like to know I'm leaving it. If you don't, you feel even worse" (4)
 3. "I didn't throw [the snowball] at anything, though. I started to throw it. At a car that was parked across the street. But I changed my mind. The car looked so nice and white. Then I started to throw it at a hydrant, but that looked too nice and white, too. Finally I didn't throw it at anything. All I did was close the window and walk around the room with the snowball, packing it harder" (36).
4. You think if they're intelligent and all, the other person, and have a good sense of humor, that they don't give a damn whose suitcases are better, but they do. They really do" (109).
5."The cars zoomed by, brakes screeched all over the place, his parents paid no attention to him, and he kept on walking next to the curb and singing 'If a body catch a body coming through the rye.' It made me feel better. It made me feel not so depressed any more" (115).
6. "Certain things they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone. I know that's impossible, but it's too bad anyway" (122).

Handout: thematic graphic organizer (copy below). This is due next Wednesday. As the novel will be completed by Tuesday, everyone should have this completed by that time. I'll check off its completion on Wednesday while you are writing.

The following chart for Catcher in the Rye is meant to organize the book thematically. Please fill each section with three applicable quotes, noting page number and who is speaking. After each, write in a comment (it need not be a complete sentence), that tells whys these words are important, that is gives insight, into the character of Holden Caulfield. These will be collected as a writing grade. You may use this graphic organizer or type up on a word document.

  • loss
  • betrayal
  • alienation
  • adolescence
  • maturity
  • mental deterioration
  • failure
  • sexual experiences / frustration
  • innocence

Thematic quality
Quote- 3 for each theme
analysis

LOSS





























BETRAYAL

























ALIENATION






















ADOLESCENCE


























MATURITY



















MENTAL
DETERIORATION























FAILURE






















SEXUAL
EXPERIENCES /
FRUSTRATION






















INNOCENCE





















No comments:

Post a Comment